Pat Whelan's Unique View of the Australian Landscape

 Pat Whelan's Unique View of the Australian Landscape


  Welcome to Hero of the Week, a series sharing the stories of some of the best photographers in the Pexels community.

  From lush forests to the outback desert, Australia's landscapes offer many opportunities for incredible photography.  Melbourne-based photographer Pat Whelan is an expert in getting closer to home for photographs that capture unparalleled views of his country's environment.

  Pat is currently a university student, again on lockdown in his hometown of Melbourne, where he is focusing on courses, bike riding and editing photographs.  We spoke to him about his photo story.

  I

 

  Pexels: How did you get started with photography?

  Pat: I think I've always had some interest in cameras, but it wasn't until 2018 that I decided to buy a DSLR that I felt my interest really took off.

  The main reason I started was actually because of Instagram.  I was fifteen at the time and used Instagram a lot, so I was always seeing travel stuff and good photography on my feed which inspired me to start taking pictures myself.  Since then, it has been deprecated and I am still doing it.

  What camera gear do you use?

  I use the Canon EOS R with the Kit RF 24-105mm f4 lens, as well as the new Canon RF 50mm f1.8.  I also use a Feiyu-Tech AK2000 gimbal for video and a DJI Mavic Mini for all my drone work.

  I love all my gear and have always taken a minimalist approach to my camera gear.  I don't like carrying a lot of gear, so a camera with one or two lenses has always been perfect for me.

 

  What is your favorite type of photography to shoot?

  travel photos.  I enjoy traveling somewhere to take photos.

  This trip doesn't have to be a vacation, it can just be a long walk or a long drive to a new place.  I love looking at photos from past travels and reflecting on that trip and what the photo means to me.

  I

 

  What inspires your photography?

  The biggest inspiration for me right now is the land around me.

  Victoria, my home state, is lucky to have so many different landscapes to see so close to home.  We have beautiful forests, pristine beaches, farms, mountains, islands, cities, the list goes on.  Living in a place like Melbourne where I can always find a new environment to shoot has really inspired me to go out and shoot.

  I've been spending a lot of time lately at a place called the Yara Range.  It is a large area with lots of mountains, hidden waterfalls, creeks and cliffs.

  The main town near these ranges, Healesville, has been a great source of inspiration for me lately.  I like to pass through there because I'm going into the mountains - it always gets me excited for an adventure.

  Tell us about your favorite photo on your Pexels profile.

  I

 

  So many to choose from!  This picture has always been my favorite picture because I love how peaceful it is.

  My family and I had to drive a road through Austria to stay in Germany, so we were in Austria for about twenty minutes.

  I saw this place out the window, so we stopped quickly and took a few minutes to take some photos.  This was one of the few photos I quickly snapped.  But the main reason I love this picture is that this picture was taken on my first vacation with my camera.

  I bought my DSLR about two months before this photo, and once I've taken and edited it, that's when I realized that photography is really what I love.  I have a Pexels collection displaying thirty of my favorite photos, which can be found here.

  Who are some other photographers or artists who inspire your work?

  I would say there are three photographers on Instagram right now whose work I love: @nev.in.color, @saxonkent, and @chance_jackson.

  The work of all these people is based outside and on nature.  I think they all perfectly capture the peace and tranquility of nature.

  I've always been inspired by the more popular creators, especially in the travel category, like Sam Colder and Edin Robbins.  Anyone whose content is both authentic and immersive can generally inspire me.

  What advice would you give to someone new to photography?

  Pexels Heroes is our invite-only community of top photographers at Pexels.  Find out more and apply to join here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christina Poxtite creates modern fairy

Follow along on Mark Neill's journey